Jo Brighton Skills Center
4460 18th Street
Wyandotte, MI 48192
Thursday at 9am
To volunteer: Email Us
This is the tenth year of operating the Blessings in a Backpack-Wyandotte program for the children in our community. We are currently feeding students throughout our 4 Elementary Schools, Middle and High School. We would like to expand the program to our three Special Education Schools as well.
- $110 provides one child food every weekend (6 meals) for an entire school year
- A full year of funding must be raised in advance to start a new school in the program
- We are currently feeding 500 students – $50,000 annually is needed to maintain our current program.
- 59% of all students in Wyandotte qualify for the Blessings in a Backpack program.
- We hope to eventually expand to all schools in Wyandotte as funding is raised.
Please visit this website monthly to see the progress we are making and for upcoming events. More volunteers and community partners are needed to expand and maintain our program. Additional volunteers are needed for ongoing fundraising.
Detroit River Cruise
Please join us as we return to our annual Detroit River Cruise. 2019 was our last trip on the river and we are looking forward to the sunset cruise while raising money to feed hungry children in Wyandotte through the Blessings in a Backpack program. Each year has been a sellout so be sure to order your tickets early Tickets are $40 and for adults only. This year we are having a Taco Bar for your enjoyment on the boat. To order tickets or additional information Click Here.
You might know Jo Brighton Center for their Bakery which is open to the public. They also have a dining room for lunch by reservation. They also have their Work Skills Program where their students are employed throughout the downriver area. Did you know the students at the Jo Brighton Center have packed the backpack for the 10 years of the Blessings in a Backpack-Wyandotte program? Read More…